Tuesday 29 December 2009

DISRUPT:ON INC. EXCLUSIVE: LD

Meet LD. He's one of the most respected figures in the scene today, through working at Transition Mastering Studios, where the who's who of dubstep get their tunes mastered and cut, and making a name for himself producing some absolutely massive tunes. He's had releases on the mighty Hyperdub imprint, as well as Dub Police, and with more in the pipeline things are looking bright for LD. He kindly agreed to do an interview with us so you can check out what the man himself had to say below. He also sent over a mix for download so grab that as well:


2009 has been a pretty groundbreaking year for you. You've had some huge releases whilst playing out all round the world. Can you believe how far the music has taken you?

Not at all - I have played all around the world this year: Scotland, Croatia, Sweden, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Finland, Italy, Belgium, and all over the UK London, Leeds, Manchester, Oxford, Bristol, Birmingham, Brighton and more. I am surprised and thankful for my opportunities.

What do you think of all the attention the dubsteo scene is getting? It's gaining huge popularity at the moment not just here but in America too. Is it a good thing do you think?

I think all the attention is a good thing as it gets more people involved and keeps things fresh. One of the reasons why dubstep has such popularity is it's fresh thinking and the more producers that get involved the more fresh idea will come about giving the scene more strength.

You’ve just had a huge release on Dub Police with your remix of ‘International Roots’ b/w ‘King Of Kong’, with both tunes also featuring on N-Type’s Rinse 09 mix. You’ve also had ‘Shake It’ featuring on the Hyperdub ‘5’ compliaton. Do you have any other releases forthcoming?


Yes - I have a release out now on bullfrog beats called "don't wanna cry". It's a me and clue kid collaboration, the track has a jungle vibe to it so if you like 95 jungle then check it out , it's out now.


Have you always produced music and mixed? Or did you start after getting the job at transition and meeting all these producers?


I started producing music when I was at school about 12 years ago. I was doing music at school and we had sequencers and recording equipment. I then went to collage and did a A level in music technology (and did more of the same) and 1 year after completing my course I then got a job at transition where the serous work begun. I also started DJing when I was at school, I was 13 at the time. My older cousin had a pair of sound lab turntables and it was him who taught me how to mix. he had already got me heavily into jungle, and mixing it was the natural next step.



How much effort and time goes into mastering a track and cutting it?


The amount of time it takes to master a track depends on the mix down we receive from the customer. If they have a good mix then it can take 20-30 minutes, but that's also assuming there are no problems. On the other hand, it can take a long time if the mix is not so good or if any problems occur. Once the track has been mastered we need to do test cuts on a lacquer disc (the medium the audio is stored on before it's transferred to vinyl) to make sure it sounds as close to the master as possible, we may need to make a few more tweaks for it to translate. Once the test cuts are complete we can cut the lacquer then repeat the process for the next track, after all are cut then we send it off to be manufactured.


You must have the most ridiculous collection of lost dubs? I’ve heard rumours that your collection is one of the best. Is this true?


I do have a big collection of lost dubs, but not as big as you would think as most of the time the tracks I decide to cut end up coming out and the ones that don't come out I would think are the best lost dubs, but that is just my opinion. I am sure that if you asked a lot of the other guys they would say the same.


How would you describe your sound? Your recent stuff like ‘King Of Kong’ and ‘Shake It’ are really techy and tribal. Is this where your sound is heading?


I would describe my sound as rhythmic sance music as the main theme in my tracks are the percussion. i make a lot of different tracks all with a different feel and I think that my techy tracks are just getting more attention, but there are a lot more housey and jungley tracks I have done.


What are you inspirations? Whose work are you really feeling at the moment?


I am in a fortunate position where I hear lots of different music every day and that has been where I get a lot of my inspiration, so there are lots of people and styles that I am feeling. I get inspiration from old jungle, hip-hop, soul, R&B and reggae.


Are there any big collaborations coming up? Is there anyone who you really want to get in the studio with?


Well I have a few tracks coming out soon with me Vs. Benga and me Vs. Cluekid and a few more people who I plan to get in the studio with. I would like to get into the studio with some like Dr. Dre or Jazzy Jeff as I love their production and they have a real funky element to their music


Who is gonna blow up next year? Anyone we should keep an eye on?


I think Emalkay as his track 'When I Look At You' has just made a big stamp and I am sure he will keep the tracks coming.


What’s the best place you’ve played out this year?


Outlook Festival in Croatia, it was the perfect party. Great music, great vibes, great location. If you missed it this year, you definitely need to go next year.


What are the biggest tunes in your bag at the moment?


Well I have a few of my tracks that are going down well but by far the track that gets the best reaction is Joker's 'Tron'. BIG TUNE!


What does 2010 hold for you?


Not sure yet, probable more of the same. Producing, DJing and mastering.


The man himself has sent over a mix for you to download so grab it below,have a listen and see what you think. There are some big tunes in there:


1. L.D - Matador
2. Silkie - Another jazzy
3. L.D - Woodblocks
4. L.D - Hard scank
5. L.D - Shake it
6. Distance - No warning
7. L.D - Fiber optics
8. L.D Vs Benga - 3 Phase
9. L.D - Ogor
10. Emalkay - Battle suit
11. Distance Remix - Tell me
12. Mala - Eyes
13. L.D - King of Kong
14. Cotti Remix - Tortured
15. L.D vs Clue Kid - The Intro
16. L.D Remix - 0800 Dub
17. Benga - Falling
18. L.D Vs Kode 9 - Bad
19. Mala - Lighter
20. DJG - NYC
Download the mix HERE
Big up to LD for finding the time to do this interview!
LD myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment